***NSFW pictures & words below! You have been warned!***
I have been approached and asked many times now to create appliers for a well-known universal applier set-up. (We all know which one I’m talking about, so I won’t say.) Each time I have refused for the same reasoning, but I think that what I have said doesn’t get understood very well by some.
My reasoning behind not making universal appliers is because each mesh body out there demands slight (and some not-so-slight) tweaks to the skin texture to make it look the best it can on each mesh body. Usually this means (for me) that I need to move the nipples around to sit in the right spots (or else it looks like kinky googly eyes! XD) Sometimes I need to shift the belly button up or down a bit, or repaint the vag area entirely. I’d also of course have to adjust or repaint/remake the toes/feet and hands. But I’m not going to talk about the hands or feet in this.
Now, I’m not bashing anyone or anything here, this is me just trying to explain and SHOW why I refuse to slap just any of my skins on any random body and call it good. It’s also not a review of any of the mesh bodies.
Words just can’t show as much as a picture can, so here goes. (NSFW stuff after the break)
I’ve told enough people about this so often now, and I keep repeating it, I think it’s a bout time I start revealing a few of my “Little Creator’s Secrets” to building in SL.
Today I want to talk to you about LBB, or Local Bitmap Browsing. This is what I learned it was called, so this is what I’m calling it. I’m not sure if any other viewers have this, but I use the Firestorm Viewer, so that is what I am going to show you with.
So… you’re making a texture for something and you’re constantly re-uploading to see your revisions? STOP NOW!
- Go to the Texture tab of the Edit window, where you would normally apply a texture.
- Click the texture preview little square box thingy. (srsly what is it called?)
- Another window pops up showing the same square preview box thingy a bit bigger. Below that there is Inventory and Local. Swap it to Local.
- Click the Add button and find the texture you want to see in-world on your hard drive. Select it, and it will be in the list on the right hand side of the smaller window. Click the texture name in there, and it will be applied to whatever prim/face you have selected.
- Now just go back to your texture editing software, and edit the texture how you like. When you would like to see how it looks in-world, just SAVE OVER the same texture you set up in LBB. The change should happen within moments. (and without having to pay 10L$ for every revision!)
- You will still need to upload the texture as normal for anyone else to see it, or to sell anything with it applied. (You can also select the texture in the right hand listing, and hit the Upload button under Add.)
- The texture will ONLY be visible to YOU. Everyone else will see a grey unloaded texture.
- To be SURE that you don’t still have a LBB texture on an item you deem “finished” be sure to REMOVE all of the textures in the listing at the side using the button below Add. (Or relog. relogging clears all those textures too.)
So there you have it. How to easily (and cheaply!) check your textures in SL without having to upload every single time.
Firestorm Wiki on LBB
Happy Building everyone!